Thursday, January 1, 2009

About Becoming LDS and About Me

Why "Becoming LDS" Came to Be:

This blog came about simply from Elder Ballards encouragement, ""The emergence of New Media is facilitating a world-wide conversation on almost every subject including religion, and nearly everyone can participate. ...

"Conversations will continue whether or not we choose to participate in them. But we cannot stand on the sidelines while others, including our critics, attempt to define what the Church teaches. ...

"May I ask that you join the conversation by participating on the Internet, particularly the New Media, to share the gospel and to explain in simple and clear terms the message of the Restoration. Most of you already know that if you have access to the Internet you can start a blog in minutes and begin sharing what you know to be true..."

After I heard these words I decided that I wasn't going to "stand on the sidelines" and that I would be one who started a "blog in minutes". Well, it took minutes to start but hours to keep running but has been a great blessing to me. I have learned so much and I hope that others can gain from it as well.

Purpose and Hope of this Blog:

My hope is that this blog can help you in your endeavors to learn more about the LDS church, to learn how to join The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and therefore Become LDS, and/or I hope that this blog will simply be a tool in our strivings to become literal Latter-day Saints in our daily lives.

I really like the word ‘becoming’, it means to grow to be something. In the case of this blog, Becoming LDS, it is to grow to be a Latter-day Saint or a person of exceptional obedience, purity, and holiness. To truly become a Latter-day Saint requires daily efforts and continual work. It is something that cannot be reached in a day, a week, a month, or even a year. The process of Becoming LDS or Becoming a Latter-day Saint is the process of changing, growing, and becoming better each and every day of our lives.

The tabs at the top of my blog as well as the sidebar can guide you through my blog (archives or search) as well as send you to many other great resources and sites. I have tried to create a fairly comprehensive list of links and hope that it is helpful. I hope this blog will help answer any questions you might have or direct you to what you are looking for. Thanks for visiting.

Now for a Little About Me:

For the most part I try to stay somewhat obscure. I just like my privacy and the safety of being anonymous.

Although there are things about me that I am not willing to divulge- here are a few snid-bits about me that you might just get a kick out of:

I love a lot of songs in the background of commercials – they just do something for me – and I can often be found air playing a violin or the piano or leading the music. This is quite funny because I am in no way, shape, or form musically inclined.

I love the goopiness of the insides of pumpkins or squishing apricots that have fallen of the tree between my bare toes. I just like that feeling. However, I hate the feeling of cotton balls. Ooooo, they make me cringe and wrinkle up my hands and squirm. Just the thought gets me.

I absolutely love the smell of fall leaves. I was out in the backyard during the Fall with my son and I took a good whiff of the leaves and said, “oh, I wish I could just bottle that up.” Someone happened to be walking past our fence at that very moment and in a little opening looked back at me with a “you’re weird” look on their face. It was a funny moment but I really would like to bottle it up or at least find a candle or something.

I love salsa and I love tomatoes in sandwiches, but I really don’t like tomatoes on salads or plain (this has changed.  I am still not a huge fan of them plain but a good fresh tomato just picked on a salad, mmm-mmm!).
Now for the Typical Must-Knows:

I am a stay-at-home mommy to my wonderful 4 year old little boy, 2 year old girl, and I am expecting our third. He keeps me running and learning and always on my toes. I love being a Mom.

I’ve been married to my wonderful Honey for just a handful or so years now. He is the greatest. He is a teacher and loves it.

Along with spending time with my family I love to read (jr. books), write (poetry), blog (too much), and play sports (longing for more opportunities to do so).

I have been a member of the Church all of my life. I was born into a family with wonderful parents who taught me well. That’s not to say that I have always lived the gospel perfectly. I’ve had my share of ups and downs but I have learned a lot along the way. I love being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and I love to share that with others.

2 comments:

Kevin Beckstrom said...

Nice site!

Kelli said...

I just stumbled across your blog while searching for scripture study ideas. Love it! I'm a convert of 5 years myself. Keep up the good work.