Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Is There an Echo In Here?



"Do I have to?"

"I'll do it later."

"In a minute."

"But I was going to play."

"I don't have time right now."

"After I watch this show."

Silence. "I'll just pretend I didn't hear that."

"I know I said I would, I just forgot."

Sound familiar? Of course, right? Coming from the mouth of your kids, oh uh just kidding, wait second, turn that finger around. Someone in my ward gave a talk and shared phrases like this about children and their responses to our requests and I thought, uh that's us. Not just kids. Anyone. Is there an echo in here?

Do you echo those types of phrases when the Spirit asks something of you?

"We cannot expect the Holy Ghost to keep helping us if we ignore His promptings. Even if the answer is not what we want or if the effort He asks of us seems too great, we must be willing to do as He directs. Otherwise, we risk losing contact with the Holy Ghost and thus His comfort and direction. "

I had a wake up call when I realized my children and I shared those responses. Time to act quickly, to not ignore, to respond as instruments, and to respond cheerfully and willingly.

No more echos. I will do it. I will do it now. I will make time for this because it is important. I did hear that and I won't forget do respond. I will do it now or write it down.
I really shouldn't have made everyone turn their finger around because maybe you are really good at this. Do you have an experience when you listened to a prompting and were blessed? Or even maybe an experience that taught you because you didn't follow through?

No comments: