Monday, August 23, 2010

Sibling Love

This video made me think of a portion of this scripture: "And ye will not suffer your children that they...fight and quarrel one with another..."

My 3 year old and 10 month old are already pretty good at the whole sibling rivalry thing and I can see that it is only going to get worse.

How do you help your children to get along? What are some things that have brought your children and family closer together? I sure could use a little help in this department.

2 comments:

Dianna said...

I have a four-year-old and a 14-month-old, so I feel your pain. There is a lot of shrieking and screaming going on at our house lately.

There are little moments, though, that make me keep going. Although the four-year-old rarely wants anything to do with the baby, sometimes he'll share a piece of food with her or bring her a toy for the bath. When this happens, I try to overlook the possible inappropriateness or inconvenience of the act of service and just encourage him.

I hope more people have tips because we haven't really got this worked out yet!

Laurie said...

Oh, this is a struggle in our house, too! My girls are 6 and 4.

One thing that has worked is to make sure I'm very specific about asking them to do things. Like if I say, "Can you pick that up?" - if they're both in the room, they both run to get it and fight about who was supposed to. So I have to say an individual name first to eliminate confusion. (Now that I'm typing this, I realize how weird it is that my kids fight TO help...) :)

I'm sure we've all heard this before, but it really does help: always point out when they DO get along. Getting the attention when they're doing something right goes a lot farther than getting yelled at when they're fighting. We use what I call Helpful Charts, so sometimes I say, "Oh, I like how you asked her nicely. Let's get you a helpful sticker."

Again, we have a LONG way to go with sibling love... So yeah, more people need to comment!! :)