Friday, August 20, 2010

Are You In There?



Are you in there? Or are you in your own world? Are you focused on the things that you want to do or feel like you should do or do you put YOUR things aside and take interest in YOUR CHILDREN'S wants and needs on a consistent basis? I know I too often am thinking of the next thing I need or want to do while in the midst of "giving my children attention." I need to work on giving them my full and undivided attention and simply forget about my agenda or my list and think about what is important on theirs. I needed this wake up call.

Elder Perry said, "Parents must bring light and truth into their homes by one family prayer, one scripture study session, one family home evening, one book read aloud, one song, and one family meal at a time. They know that the influence of righteous, conscientious, persistent, daily parenting is among the most powerful and sustaining forces for good in the world."
-"Mothers Teaching Children in the Home," Ensign, May 2010, 30

How do you make sure you spend the time and are "in there" for your children? How do you balance your agenda with the things that are REALLY important?

3 comments:

Dianna said...

I think about this all the time. It's so much easier to be selfish and do what I want and ignore my kids, but we're all happier when I focus on them instead. Sometimes I wish I had someone who could poke me three times a day and remind me that it's not really all about me.

Ashlee said...

Thank you for posting this Paige. Such a great reminder. I'm going to be better!

Melinda said...

I've been thinking a lot about this lately because I find myself multi-tasking when I should be completely focused on Koa. Thanks for the post, Paige!