Monday, March 2, 2009

Inner Talents

Yesterday in Relief Society our lesson was on talents. As a portion of the lesson we went around the room and each shared a talent that we had or a talent that we wanted to develop or acquire. It was fun to see how unique everyone is and how everyone has something to offer. It was a good lesson and a good reminder to be continually developing, strengthing, and seeking talents.

Later on in the afternoon I started to think about this lesson again. I realized something. Almost every sister mentioned an outward, physical talent such as, sewing, painting, photography, decorating, etc. Only a few mentioned more inner talents, talents which I think are of greater worth but often are not acknowledged as talents. One sister mentioned that she was cheerful and another that she had a sense of humor. These were the only two talents, that I can recall, that are more personal, inner talents and what great talents they are. Sadly, some sisters had a hard time seeing any talents in themselves. I think so often we only recognize the outer talents in ourselves or the lack of outward talents in ourselves, but if we looked more closely we might just find that we have so many talents that are of such great worth that might be a little more hidden or less noticeable.

It is great talent to be able to sew cloth together but what a greater talent it is to be able to be friendly and unite people together.

It is a great gift to be able to take pictures of people and their smiles but it is a greater talent to be able to make people smile.

It is great to be able to enjoy playing a sport well but it is even better to find joy and love for playing with children.

I don't mean to lessen the importance of and the need for all gifts including the wonderful physical talents we have been blessed with and that we have acquired but I do mean to emphasize the importance of the less often recognized gifts. Our spiritual gifts and our inner talents are so vital and I think are sometimes over-looked and not developed as they should be.

Elder Marvin J. Ashton shares with us some of these less recognized gifts,
"Let us review some of these less-conspicuous gifts: the gift of asking; the gift of listening; the gift of hearing and using a still, small voice; the gift of being able to weep; the gift of avoiding contention; the gift of being agreeable; the gift of avoiding vain repetition; the gift of seeking that which is righteous; the gift of not passing judgment; the gift of looking to God for guidance; the gift of being a disciple; the gift of caring for others; the gift of being able to ponder; the gift of offering prayer; the gift of bearing a mighty testimony; and the gift of receiving the Holy Ghost.

We must remember that to every man is given a gift by the Spirit of God. It is our right and responsibility to accept our gifts and to share them. God’s gifts and powers are available to all of us."

In his talk he continues on to emphasize only a few of these gifts but it is wonderful. To read this whole talk click here ---> “There Are Many Gifts”

Let us all strive to recognize our inner talents and gifts. Let us all strive to recognize and encourage the inner gifts of others. Let us all strive to develop, strengthen, and acquire uplifting and worthwhile talents and gifts. Just as Elder Ashton said, "God's gifts and powers are available to all of us...every man is given a gift by the Spirit of God."

4 comments:

In The Doghouse said...

Isn't it interesting that all our talents and gifts are for the benefit of ALL. When we align our will to the Fathers we use these gifts for their true purpose, that of building up the kingdom.
Great post!

Stephanie said...

I love that Ashton talk. I've always said that I don't have any talents that I can put in a talent show or craft bazaar, but I recognize that God has given me some important talents, too, and I try to make my contributions the best I can.

pam said...

I love your blog, you give me such help, give me great lesson ideas, Thanks you..you know I would prabably say I had no talents, out of fear of sounding too proud...or not good enough; we are so funny.

Bethie Marie said...

What a great post! I have often wondered what I would say, if asked that question in RS, "What are your talents?" All that comes to mind is "I am a blogger, I love to blog." But then I remember, I am a daughter of a Heavenly Father.
I must have "inherited" some heavenly talents as well. I pray that I am developing them and becoming all that I should be.

God Bless

Bethie