Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Conversion Stories


Yesterday I asked for submissions of conversion stories and have received quite a few already. I thought I would post them directly on my blog but because of the response and my hopes of more responses I have created a new page that now has several of your wonderul conversion stories on it. You can find the stories and future stories at this link - http://www.becomingldsconversionstories.blogspot.com/.


Because we all have to go through the process of becoming converted whether we are born into the church or are baptized into it at a later time I decided to add these great excerpts from True to the Faith.


Conversion

Conversion includes a change in behavior, but it goes beyond behavior; it is a change in our very nature. It is such a significant change that the Lord and His prophets refer to it as a rebirth, a change of heart, and a baptism of fire.

The Process of Conversion
Conversion is a process, not an event. You become converted as a result of your righteous efforts to follow the Savior. These efforts include exercising faith in Jesus Christ, repenting of sin, being baptized, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end in faith.

Characteristics of People Who Are Converted
The Book of Mormon provides descriptions of people who are converted to the Lord:
1) They desire to do good.
2) They do not rebel against the Lord.
3) They share the gospel.
4) They are filled with love.

Striving for Greater Conversion
You have primary responsibility for your own conversion. No one can be converted for you, and no one can force you to be converted. However, others can help you in the process of conversion. Learn from the righteous examples of family members, Church leaders and teachers, and men and women in the scriptures.

Your capacity to experience a mighty change of heart will increase as you strive to follow the Savior’s perfect example. Study the scriptures, pray in faith, keep the commandments, and seek the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost.


Have you truly been converted? Have you had a change of heart? Do you possess the characteristics of a person who is converted?


Let us continually strive for a greater conversion and learn from the stories of these wonderful individual's who have shared their process of being converted. Thanks to all of you who have submitted so far and I hope to continue to receive more.

2 comments:

Shawna said...

my computer wont let me email you this so I thought I would leave it as a comment and then you can delet it and put it in the right place. Thanks

"I married Nephi, the true story of Conversion"
Shawna Iverson story
I grew up in Utah a Pentcostal Mormon hater. I used to carry my Bible in my backpack and try to "Save" everyone I could. I would pray over the high school in the mornings on the football field with my best friend. I was not happy about being surrounded by Mormons and never ever ever thought I would join. Then my senior year of high school my parents moved me to a new school and I met, fell in love with and married my high school sweet heart I met there three years later. He was a member of the church and his parents were both converts. They loved me and welcomed me with open arms. About two-three years into our marriage I found out that my husband the person I thought I knew was a herion addict. My life was turned upside down. I spent the next two years trying to save him for his life style that he kept hidden from so many people. I came across an LDS 12 step meeting for addicts and their family members. I started attending the meetings faithfuly and couldnt deny the spirit I felt when I was there. I started asking my boss at work questions about the church and desided to take the missionary lessons for like the third time, only this time I wasnt trying to "save" them. ;) I made the choice that night that I wanted to be baptised and two weeks later I did it.My boss who is like a brother to me baptised me. 162 people attented, I think they all wanted proof that I was really doing it. It was the best day of my life. I know now looking back that Heavenly father knew I needed to be humbled and broken to finally except the gospel. Unfortunatly my husband never cleaned up his life and I knew I was supposed to leave him. I prayed, fasted and knew it was the right thing to do. I moved home with my parents and three months later on ldssingles.com I met my new husband, Nephi Alma Iverson. Never in my life would I have dreamed about dating someone named Nephi let alone marry him. We just got sealed as a little family with our 19 month old son in Sept. of this year. Although My family still struggles with my choice they love me and it has all been so worth it.
Feel free to list my blog www.iversonfamilyof3.blogspot.com

Pokemon said...

Thanks for the submission Shawna. I've added it to the conversion stories page but I've decided to keep it here as well. Thanks for sharing!