Thursday, August 28, 2008

Jesus Washing the Apostles’ Feet

I really like this picture and story of our Savior. I think it so perfectly depicts his humility and selflessness. It amazes me that just prior to Him suffering for all of us he was thinking about washing His apostles feet. He is our perfect example.

LDS Gospel Art Kit

After Jesus had eaten the Last Supper with His Apostles, He removed His outer robe and put a towel around His waist. Then He poured water into a basin and, one by one, began to wash and dry the Apostles’ feet. (See John 13:4–5.)

When Jesus came to Simon Peter, Peter asked the Lord why He was washing his feet. Jesus told Peter that he would not understand then but that he would know later. Peter said, “Thou needest not to wash my feet” (Joseph Smith Translation, John 13:8). “Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me” (John 13:8). Peter said to Him, “Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head” (John 13:9). Jesus told him that He needed only to wash his feet (see John 13:10; Joseph Smith Translation, John 13:10).

Jesus told His Apostles that they were not all clean because He knew one would betray Him (see John 13:10–11).

When Jesus finished washing the Apostles’ feet, He said, “If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you” (John 13:14–15).

No comments: