Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Peace the Spirit Brings

So I am going to start off my scripture post with a very recent experience. I had an interesting night last night. It was a night filled with vivid and scary dreams, one in particular. In some ways I feel a little silly because this seems like something that might happen to a young child but I really did feel quite scared. I woke up in the middle of my dream because I was startled and terrified and then whenever I would close my eyes the images of my dream would reappear and my dream would continue. I couldn't stop thinking about my fears and I definitely couldn't fall back to sleep.


I finally decided to start singing some of the Hymns and Primary songs. I also recited my testimony in my head to try to get my mind off of my very realistic dream. I was not filled with peace immediately but as I continued to sing and to recognize my testimony I was able to feel a sense of peace and calmness in my heart.


Because of this experience I thought of this scripture, which is one of my favorites, which reads:
Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

I know that the spirit of fear comes from Satan and that through the Spirit of God we are given power and love. If we are obedient and if we invite the Spirit then we can have the Spirit with us always and should have no need to fear.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found that this particular post was very uplifting. I just wanted to thank you for sharing.
Takiesha Jensen