Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Mormonad - Trash Talk


Matthew 12:36
But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

What a bold reminder that we will be accountable for the words that we speak.

My son is at the age where he repeats everything we say. It has caused us to watch ourselves and we have started to notice that some of the things we say are not needful and definitely not the best thing to be saying. It has made me ask myself, "Do I really need to use the "sister" words or the substitute words to swear words to express my feelings?"

Q&A: Questions and Answers,” New Era, Mar 2001, 16
Many people try to substitute other words for swear words, but Elder L. Tom Perry warns that so many times those substitute words are so similar to the swear words or vulgar phrases that everyone knows what you meant to say and your vocabulary hasn’t really changed. Elder Perry suggests a simple activity to break the habit:

“First, make the commitment to erase such words from your vocabulary. Next, if you slip and say a swear word or a substitute word, mentally reconstruct the sentence without the vulgarity or substitute word and repeat the new sentence aloud. Eventually you will develop a nonvulgar speech habit” (New Era, Aug. 1986, 7).

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Paige, thanks for this post. This is totally something that I need to work on! I've always had problems with controlling what I say, so I definitely needed this reminder so that I can start monitoring myself a lot more. Also, in response to your post on my blog, Saturdays are great for me, so I would love to see you anytime you can!