Thursday, December 11, 2008

Christmas Ideas Centered Around Christ

Here are a few ideas to help keep your Christmas centered around Christ:


1 - Watch The Nativity video:




2 - Participate in this Scriptural 12 Days of Christmas or any other scripture plan to center your readings around the Savior the remainder of this month.
By Sister Slade found on Sugardoodle

Day 1--Luke 1 26-38 (Start reading on December 12)
Day 2--3 Nephi 1:4-9
Day3--Luke 1:39-45
Day 4--2 Nephi 9:19-22
Day 5--Matthew 1:18-25
Day 6--3 Nephi 1:12-21
Day 7--Matthew 2:1-12
Day 8--Helaman 14:2-6
Day 9--Luke 2: 1-7
Day10--Isaiah 9:6-7
Day 11--Luke 2:8-20
Day 12--Isaiah 7:14 (Finish reading on 24 December)




3 - Find opportunities for you and your children to serve.


-Visit someone who is lonely (in your ward, a local nursing home, or a hospital) and visit them.
- Serve one another and leave an ornament or other object behind and continue passing the service along with the ornament.
-Place a basket of ornaments under the tree and everytime a kind act or deed is done add another ornament to the tree.
- Help make and serve food at a local soup kitchen.
- Find an Angel tree or Giving tree and select one or more individuals to help this Christmas season.
-Just like President Monson said in my post below, "the opportunities are limitless."

4 - Act out the Navtivity Scene or create it using these cutouts found on lds.about.com.

5 - Give a Gift to the Savior
Ever since I was little on Christmas Eve we always give a gift to Christ. We each get a notecard and write down something that we are going to work on for that year - something that will help us to become better or be more obedient. After we write our gifts to the Savior we fold them up and put them either in a wrapped box or a stocking specifically for Jesus. As each year passes we pull out our last year's gift and see how we did. It is a great reminder of what Christmas is all about and it is a great reminder that the greatest gift we can give to the Savior is how we live our lives. He said, "If ye love me, keep my commandments."

I hope that we all have a wonderful Christmas and that we remember to keep Christ in the center of it all.

4 comments:

Jenette said...

What wonderful ideas! Thank you so much!! I am going to do the 12 Scriptural days of Christmas!

Ashlee said...

This is wonderful Paige! Keep the ideas coming!

Lori said...

Just a warning that I "may" (meaning I will) tell everyone about your blog tomorrow in Relief Society. The lesson is on Gaining Knowledge - and I am gaining alot from reading all of this, and I'd like to share it with all.

Unknown said...

I came across your post on LDS.Net this evening and decided to take a look at your blog. I am glad I did. You are doing a great job here. Keep up the great work! I love this post and especially the ideal of giving a gift to the Savior. I have never honestly thought about doing that, but it makes so much sense to do so. After all, He is the reason for the season. Starting this Christmas Eve I am going to incorporate this ideal. Thanks.