Tuesday, February 17, 2009

One of the Most Significant Gifts Given to the World in Modern Times

"The gift I am thinking of is more important than any of the inventions and technological revolutions. This is a gift of greater value to mankind than even the many wonderful advances we have seen in modern medicine. It is of greater worth to mankind than the development of flight or space travel. I speak of the gift of the Book of Mormon."
-President Ezra Taft Benson


I had heard of this talk by President Benson but I don't think I had ever read it prior to a few nights ago. The Keystone of Our Religion is a powerful testimony of the Book of Mormon. It shares the words of the Lord about the Book of Mormon. It shares the significants of the timing of the coming forth of the Book of Mormon. But most importantly it shares with all of us the importance of the Book of Mormon to each of us and why we should make the studying of it a bigger priority in our lives.

This is a longer post than normal but I urge you to read on. As I read this talk my testimony of the Book of Mormon was strengthened and I felt a greater desire to make it a keystone of my life. Below I took a portion of President Benson's talk to share with you but if you would like to read the whole talk you can click on the link in the previous paragraph.

"There are three great reasons why Latter-day Saints should make the study of the Book of Mormon a lifetime pursuit.
The first is that the Book of Mormon is the keystone of our religion
There are three ways in which the Book of Mormon is the keystone of our religion. It is the keystone in our witness of Christ. It is the keystone of our doctrine. It is the keystone of testimony.

The Book of Mormon is the keystone in our witness of Jesus Christ, who is Himself the cornerstone of everything we do. It bears witness of His reality with power and clarity.

The Book of Mormon is also the keystone of the doctrine of the resurrection. As mentioned before, the Lord Himself has stated that the Book of Mormon contains the “fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ.” (D&C 20:9.) That does not mean it contains every teaching, every doctrine ever revealed. Rather, it means that in the Book of Mormon we will find the fulness of those doctrines required for our salvation.

Finally, the Book of Mormon is the keystone of testimony. Just as the arch crumbles if the keystone is removed, so does all the Church stand or fall with the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon. The enemies of the Church understand this clearly. This is why they go to such great lengths to try to disprove the Book of Mormon, for if it can be discredited, the Prophet Joseph Smith goes with it. So does our claim to priesthood keys, and revelation, and the restored Church. But in like manner, if the Book of Mormon be true—and millions have now testified that they have the witness of the Spirit that it is indeed true—then one must accept the claims of the Restoration and all that accompanies it.
The second great reason why we must make the Book of Mormon a center focus of study is that it was written for our day.

Each of the major writers of the Book of Mormon testified that he wrote for future generations... they saw our day, and chose those things which would be of greatest worth to us, is not that how we should study the Book of Mormon? We should constantly ask ourselves, “Why did the Lord inspire Mormon (or Moroni or Alma) to include that in his record? What lesson can I learn from that to help me live in this day and age?”

The third reason that the Book of Mormon is of such value to Latter-day Saints is given in the same statement by the Prophet Joseph Smith cited previously. He said, “I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.” (Introduction to the Book of Mormon.) That is the third reason for studying the book. It helps us draw nearer to God. Is there not something deep in our hearts that longs to draw nearer to God, to be more like Him in our daily walk, to feel His presence with us constantly? If so, then the Book of Mormon will help us do so more than any other book.

The Power and Blessings of the Book of Mormon

"It is not just that the Book of Mormon teaches us truth, though it indeed does that. It is not just that the Book of Mormon bears testimony of Christ, though it indeed does that, too. But there is something more. There is a power in the book which will begin to flow into your lives the moment you begin a serious study of the book. You will find greater power to resist temptation. You will find the power to avoid deception. You will find the power to stay on the strait and narrow path. The scriptures are called “the words of life” (D&C 84:85), and nowhere is that more true than it is of the Book of Mormon. When you begin to hunger and thirst after those words, you will find life in greater and greater abundance."

I love his thoughts and testimony of the Book of Mormon. I love his desire to distill in us the significants and value of that great book. I love his testimony of the power that the Book of Mormon contains.

If you have not yet read the Book of Mormon or if your testimony is wavering I urge you to take Moroni's Challenge (Moroni 10:3-5):

3 Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things (the Book of Mormon), if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.

4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.

My Testimony of the Book of Mormon:

I have a testimony of the Book of Mormon. I know that it is the Word of God. I know that Joseph Smith did see God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ. I know that he translated the plates and brought forth the Book of Mormon in our day. I know that the Book of Mormon is Another Testament of Jesus Christ and that if we read it we can become more Christ-like and draw nearer to our Heavenly Father.

I know that I have received answers to prayers while reading the Book of Mormon. I know that I have found peace in the words of the Book of Mormon. I know that I am happier when I make my studies of the Book of Mormon a greater priority in my life. The Book of Mormon is true. Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. Jesus Christ is our Savior and Examplar.

I testify of these things and like President Benson my hope is "that the Book of Mormon may become the keystone of our lives."

To read the Book of Mormon online click HERE.
To receive a free copy of the Book of Mormon click HERE.

No comments: