Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Mormonad: Differences...and 6 of my Quirks

I may have been tagged by my sister but I have a sister-in-law with my same name so I am not super sure. I generally don't get tagged since I don't have a personal or family blog and if I do I wouldn't normally respond but I thought it would be fun (whether I was actually tagged or not) to join in this one and give you a little peek at what I am like. Of course I would feel weird not adding a little spirtual twist so stay tuned to the end of the post for that.



So here are 6 of my quirky habits... I am not going to tag anyone else since most of you that check this blog are complete strangers. Enjoy my weirdnesses and think about the funny quirks you have.

1 - When I can’t sleep I stick my pillow on my head. This began in college when I had a roommate stay up late doing homework with her lamp on (annoying you might think, but she was actually one of my favorite roommates). To block the light I would stick the pillow on my head and now I have no light to block and for some reason it still sends me to the ZZZs a lot quicker when I am having a hard time getting there.

2 - So many of you will think this is crazy but I still bounce my son (just shy of 2 years old) before he goes to sleep. But that is not the quirky part…here’s my quirkiness - I actually count the number of times I bounce him. This habit began when he was younger and a very tough sleeper. I had to determine how many times I would sway back and forth to keep myself sane and know that when I hit that number I would put him down whether he cried or not. Well now it just stuck. I’ve kept counting but the number has decreased. I little OCD, I know.

3 - I actually like some of the cartoons my almost two year old watches on PBS kids. As sad as this may sound I kind of look forward to the song at the beginning of Sid the Science Kid…”I love my Mom.” “Uh-huh” “My Mom is cool.” “Uh-huh” - those of you with kids may know what I am talking about. If we turn it on after the beginning of the show I am actually slightly bummed. It’s catchy, what can I say.

4 - Now this one is pathetic…I am obsessed with checking the stats of this blog. I love to see where the people live that check the blog, how many visits the blog got the previous day, etc. I check every morning. Then if that isn’t enough I check at least 3 different times during the day to see if I have any comments. Sadly most often it is none. Obsessed, I know.

5 - I love words, especially their official meanings. For some reason I really like to look common words up in the dictionary – words that we all really know but I like to hear the official definition. Words like: live, change, continual, etc. There is just something about a good definition that does something for me. :)

6 – I never tuck our sheets in when I make our bed. I hate it when they are tight and you get in and feel like a mummy…I get Claustrophobic I guess. Some would still tuck to make it look nicer but I figure I would just pull them out before bed…why bother.

So you may be thinking, "She's weird" or "I can relate to that" or "How funny". But isn't it great that we are all so different - that we all have different things to add? Isn't it great that we each are unique with different talents, with different quirks, and with different experiences? How would the world be if your quirk was mine and mine was yours and there was no diversity? Well, it would be boring.



President Howard W. Hunter said, We are all different and unique individuals; we have each had different starting points in the race of life; we each have a unique mixture of talents and skills; we each have our own set of challenges and constraints to contend with.

1 Corinthians adds that each individual is needed. We are all a part of one body and without each of us, invidual and unique, our body would not be whole.

1 Corinthians 12:12-21
12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.
13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one abody, whether we be Jews or bGentiles, whether we be cbond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
14 For the body is not one member, but many.
15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?
18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.
19 And if they were all one member, where were the body?
20 But now are they many members, yet but one body.
21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the ahead to the feet, I have no need of you.

4 comments:

Brooke Jones said...

I love it! I also don't tuck my sheets in - you're right why bother. I was tagging both of you. I didn't think you would reply - without a personal blog, but am glad that you did. What a wonderful sister you are - especially with your quirks!

Riin said...

I named my 6 quirks too some time ago. But I like how you linked it with each of us being unique. I think a big problem, especially for teenagers (being church members or not), is low self-esteem and feeling not as pretty, not as smart or not as strong than others. I too tend to compare myself to others sometimes (which isn't a good thing). Thank you for reminding me that we are all unique and special! :)

Tug said...

Claustrophobic?

I hate tight sheets as well. :]

Pokemon said...

Thanks for the spell check Tug.