Monday, September 22, 2008

Becoming Hearers and Doers

Spencer W. Kimball
"One cannot become a “doer of the word” without first becoming a “hearer.” And to become a “hearer” is not simply to stand idly by and wait for chance bits of information; it is to seek out and study and pray and comprehend." (“How Rare a Possession—The Scriptures!,” Tambuli, Dec 1985, 3)


Last night I thought of this becoming topic and was reminded of it once again as I was reading my scriptures not because of a particular verse but because I was not being a hearer and I was no where close to being a doer. When I neared the end of my scripture reading I realized that I had not heard anything that I had read. I was reading the words but not listening. Just as President Kimball said, we must first become hearers to be able to become doers. If we don't first seek out what we are to do and truly open our ears and hear it than we cannot make changes and be a doer.

Richard J. Maynes
"Remember when the Lord warned Joseph Smith regarding those who “draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me” ( JS—H 1:19).

Remember the admonition of James: “But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only” ( James 1:22).

Actions truly do speak louder than words. In fact, actions mean much more to the Lord than words. The Lord declared in the Doctrine and Covenants, “If thou lovest me thou shalt serve me and keep all my commandments” ( D&C 42:29)."(“Keeping Our Covenants,” Ensign, Nov 2004, 92)


One of the reasons I thought of this becoming topic was because we have General Conference coming up in a few weeks. We will have the opportunity to listen to Prophets and Apostles but will we "hear" them? And if we do hear them then will we turn the things we hear into actions and be "doers of the word"? Let us all take the challenge of Elder Johnson below and resolve to listen carefully and then follow or do the teachings that are given.


Paul V. Johnson
Decide now to make general conference a priority in your life. Decide to listen carefully and follow the teachings that are given. Listen to or read the talks more than once to better understand and follow the counsel. By doing these things, the gates of hell will not prevail against you, the powers of darkness will be dispersed from before you, and the heavens will shake for your good.(“The Blessings of General Conference,” Liahona, Nov 2005, 50–52)

2 comments:

Mom B said...

Love the hear and do idea because those two words combined equal one of my favorite words - hearken.

Riin said...

I've been thinking about the same thing recently, especially since General Conference is coming. I really need to work on the doing part (I've always been good in theory but weak in practise).