Monday, September 15, 2008

Becoming Involved

Become Involved



Doctrine and Covenants 58:27
Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;

I love President Hinckley's B's - the talk. I think that they are all extremely important including becoming involved. I think that it is easy to become idle, to not make an effort to be involved, or to do things only when we are asked rather than taking the initiative to be involved ourselves. There are so many good things that we can be involved in - in our homes, in our churches, in our communities and neighborhoods, and in the world as a whole.

We can be involved more in our children's lives, we can be more involved in our wards and in our callings, we can be more involved in our neighbors lives or in our communities endeavors and concerns, we can be more involved in serving those in the world who are less fortunate than us. There are so many ways that we can be involved. To be involved meens to be commited to something or engaged in something.

"When you do nothing, you feel overwhelmed and powerless. But when you get involved, you feel the sense of hope and accomplishment that comes from knowing you are working to make things better.” - Anonymous

What a true quote. There are days when looking at the mess I have to clean up looks overwhelming and sometimes even impossible. Some days I put it off and I feel like I haven't accomplished anything and become even more overwhelmed. But when I get up and get involved or engaged in cleaning up our house I feel more happy and powerful. This is such a simple everyday example. If we really pushed ourselves to be more anxiously engaged in every aspect of our lives just imagine how much more empowered and accomplished we would feel.

One of my favorite phrases from the Book of Mormon is found in Alma 60:24 - "begin to be up and doing". So I challenge us to be more up and doing, to find something good in our lives that we can be more engaged and involved in.

1 comment:

Mom B said...

Love that busy bee attitude!